|Steel Construction New Zealand (SCNZ) celebrated the best and brightest in the industry at its annual Excellence in Steel Awards held at Blue Baths, Rotorua, 28th September 2018.
The awards acknowledge the industry’s commitment to innovation, quality and collaboration. This year SCNZ received a record 34 entries for the awards.
SCNZ chairman Wayne Carson said: “The awards showcase the best of our industry and this year we received an unprecedented number of extremely high-quality, successful projects that were all worthy of recognition.
The entries were whittled down to 14 finalists who showcased the exceptional design and execution possible when steel is used as the principal construction material.
Tamati Coffey, MP for Waiariki, presented all the Excellence in Steel awards and congratulated all recipients on their success.
The awards evening attracted an audience of more than 150 leaders and experts from the structural steel industry.
Congratulations to all the finalists and winners:
- 5 Stables Drive, Lincoln - entered by John Jones Steel (winner)
- Kowhai St Home, Takapuna - entered by Black Steel Mobile
- Rankine Brown Emergency Shoring, Wellington - entered by Beca (Steel Constructor, MJH)
- Broadway Radiology, Palmerston North - entered by GH Engineering
- Riverbank Mezz Box, Hamilton - entered by BCD Group (Steel Constructor, WSF) (winner)
$500k to $3m
- Emersons Brewery, Dunedin - entered by Calder Stewart
- Smales Farm – Helical Stair, Takapuna - entered by D&H Steel Construction (winner)
- Jacob’s Ladder, Kaipara Harbour - entered by Grayson Engineering
- St Pauls Square Refurbishment, Upper Hutt - entered by Whakatiki Engineering
- Genesis Energy Office Development, Hamilton - entered by BCD Group (Steel Constructor, WSF)
- The Crossings, Christchurch - entered by John Jones Steel
- Delegat Winery, Napier - entered by Red Steel
- 20 Customhouse Quay, Wellington - entered by MJH Engineering (winner)
- SH1 Russley Road Upgrade, Christchurch - entered by McConnell Dowell - Downer JV (Steel Constructor, East Bridge)
Overall Supreme Winner 2018
Congratulations to MJH Engineering for 20 Custom House Quay!
Judges comments on 20 Customhouse Quay -
- The winner was selected with a unanimous vote.
- The judges applauded the project’s outstanding execution and noted it is one of the best projects they’ve seen for a long time.
- It “ticked all the boxes” in our judges’ view: it features great architecture, technically sophisticated, design, smart fabrication and erection.
- The winners looked at every building element in terms of structural steel and thought of the best, most efficient design.
- Overall, it’s a clear structure that’s rational and expressive and allows for future changes of use.
John Jones Steel, winners of the
Stand-alone Residential category
Winning project team members from
the under $500k category - Riverbank Mezz Box
$500 - $3m category winning project team
members for Smales Farm - Helical Stair
Overall Supreme Award winners with Tamati Coffey,
Mahe Drysdale & SCNZ Chairman, Wayne Carson