All-Region Fabricator Forum
An All-Region Fabricator Forum formed a central part of the event and proved highly popular with approximately 90 attendees taking time out of their busy schedules to network and discuss pressing industry issues.
- Dean Pouwhare from D&H Steel Construction gave an informative overview of the new qualifications for rigging
- Chris Burns, SCNZ Senior Structural Engineer (Industry), presented the findings of a recent SCNZ study on fabricator charge out rates.
- Alistair Fussell, SCNZ Manager, opened the session with a celebration of the history of SCNZ and the remarkable people who have contributed to the huge success of the organisation
- Marcus Nalter from Worksafe NZ challenged delegates to adopt a new way of thinking as he talked through the effects of the recent Health & Safety Reform Bill
- Stuart Oliver, Holmes Consulting, and David Moore, Grayson Engineering, gave an interesting look behind the scenes at the work that has gone into The Christchurch Justice and Emergency Services Precinct, one of the anchor projects in the city’s recovery plan.
- Creator of the international business, Contiki Holidays, John Anderson, held the audience captive with his moving and inspiring story of how his overwhelming desire to see Europe as a young man led him to not only travel but to also start what is now a hugely successful business and world-renowned brand with just 25 pounds!
- Craig Foss MP had a hard act to follow, but expertly met the challenge with an interesting talk on the contribution SMEs make to the NZ economy and the importance for SMEs to innovate.
The afternoon was wrapped up with the presentation of certificates to the latest group of structural steel fabricators to achieve certification under the industry-led Steel Fabricator Certification (SFC) scheme.
Many thanks to everyone who attended and to our sponsors for enabling us to make this event so successful and enjoyable. A full review of the event is available here.
Sponsored by: Speltech, Onesteel and Dimond.